Sunday, October 26, 2014

Ghostbusters / TMNT Crossover Issue 1 Review


It FINALLY happened.

After living in the same city together for about three decades, the Ghostbusters and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have finally met.

I was given a copy of Issue 1 of the cross over by a friend of mine for my birthday.

He is pretty much just as crazy about TMNT as I am about Ghostbusters.

I'll admit, I haven't kept up on the TMNT in recent years. I know enough to get by, but overall I only really collect, or care about, the vintage series. Never got into the 2002 cartoon. The Nick cartoon has it's funny moments, but I only really watch that for my 3 year old Nephew.

While I won't go into a ton of detail over this issue, since I know there will be many who have yet to read it, I will give it a brief run down, showcasing some of the bigger things, to give those who have yet to read a general idea of what to expect.



The story starts off with an ancient demon warrior from the past being sent into present time by Krang.

In present day New York, Donatello is working on a teleportation device with some professor dude I've never heard of. Again, I don't keep up with modern day TMNT.

When Donatello suggests that the Turtles, April, and Casey Jones test it out by going to the lair to surprise Splinter, and coming right back, they all hesitate, but eventually decide to do so.

As the Turtles were preparing to teleport, a fly gets in the way and the professor slaps the wrong switch.

Long and short of it, the Turtles get sent to where they were due to go, but in a different New York City.



Meanwhile, the Ghostbusters battle the Bug Eye Ghost.

Yes, I nearly lost it when I saw this. How freakin' sweet is it that in 2014 the Ghostbusters can be alive and well, battling real versions of toys that came out in the 80's?

The boys finish up and get called to a class 7 bust.



The Turtles land in a church in New York where a wedding is taking place. 

Soon after, our demon from the start of the story, the class 7, shows up to raise some hell, and possesses Casey Jones.

That's when the boys in grey walk in and discover not only the class 7, but also the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or as Venkman calls them, "Kung Fu Martians"

This is where issue numero uno ends.

I really enjoyed it. 

The only thing I would have liked better would be for the Turtles to already be in the New York that the Ghostbusters exist in.

Maybe have it be 1980 something and they see a news report from April O'neil on the tv and people talking about the Turtles. They go to investigate and figure out the whole mess with the Foot Clan and Shredder, maybe a few ghosts along the way, I dunno.

Anyways, I'd love to get my hands on issue 2 when it comes out. I'll probably have to order it since the only Comic Book store in town doesn't typically carry these.

Trust me, it's on my to do list.

In the meantime, do yourselves a favor and pick up issue 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment