Thursday, October 2, 2014

Day 2: The Hunchback Monster!!

Yes, the Mr., Ghostbuster Halloween countdown rolls on.

Day number 2 of "31 Ghosts in 31 Days!!!"

Today, we take a look at the Hunchback from Kenner's Real Ghostbusters Monsters series.



Short story about my history with this figure, when I was about 4 years old, my mom got the idea in her head that she knew how to cook.

The most important thing you should know about my mother's cooking is that one of two things is going to get burned, either the food, or her.

Having suffered through many partially black dinners, it was a welcome relief to eat something not so charred, but it came at a price. Mom burnt the living hell out of her arm. Pretty sure she still has a scar from it somewhere under all of the wrinkles.

Well, that night my dad, on his way home from work, stopped to get her some band aids and such. It was a decent burn.

I was already in bed fast asleep when he returned home for the night, so I knew nothing was coming my way until I woke up the next morning.

As I sat in the living room, trying to shake the sleep off, I noticed our friend, the Hunchback monster on the coffee table.

I asked if that was for me. I didn't know. Maybe dad felt really bad that mom didn't know how to cook and bought her a Ghostbusters toy to make her feel better. It could happen, right?????

Nope. It was for me. Of course it was.

The moral? If mom gets burnt or hurt in any way, I get a Ghostbusters toy.


The Hunchback monster is gruesome indeed.

 An ugly, wart covered monstrosity who was long ago banished to a bell tower to hide from society, he awaits the perfect time to haunt the normal civilians of Notre Dame. 

And he's probably a virgin. 


When you squeeze the figure's legs, he breaks free from his shackles, tilting his ugly, disfigured head back to let out a loud scream.

I mean, he could be good looking if you had enough booze in you, right?

The Monster series were indeed to perfect set of toys to be used nearly 30 years later in this count down. Kenner did a remarkable job to bring these famous monsters to life in the Ghostbusters universe.

While not as neat as the Haunted Humans line, they are still very cool to own.

The main difference between these and the Haunted Humans, is you know exactly what you are getting. With the Hunchback, you know you are getting a pissed off disfigures man hell bent on revenge, whereas with yesterday's Mail Fraud figure, what he appears to be on the surface is a far cry from what he will become when possessed. 

Either way, this series is a win in my book.

The countdown rolls on tomorrow for Day 3!



1 comment:

  1. Loved the ghostbusters take on the classic universal monsters. I had them all but this one stands out because he was the last one I got and I also had a hard time finding him. This was my least favorite from that series but still cool seeing as you don't see many hunchback toys. I was rough on him and ended up breaking his face from playing with him so much lol

    ReplyDelete