Monday, July 28, 2014

GB2 Swag From Hardee's!


Back in the 80's, before all of them in my area were replaced by Burger King's, Hardee's was THE place to be.

Their promotions of Gremlins and California Raisins among other things made them stand out even better than the likes of the big time fast food chains.

But it was really the restaurant's promotion of Ghostbusters 2 that put them above and beyond, if only for a short time.

I can recall making many trips to Hardee's in the Summer of 1989. We lived in the small hillbilly town of York, Nebraska at the time. A crappy little redneck wasteland to say the least, but apparently, because we had a Hardee's, we were good enough to get a visit from the one and only Ecto-1A.

To my knowledge, this was the legit Ecto-1A as seen in the film. From what I understand, 3 cars were made,. 2 that were used on the film, and one that was sent to Universal Studios.

I truly wish there was a photo somewhere of me with the Ecto-1A, but sadly at that time, I'm pretty sure it wasn't something that would have even been thought about. It's not like smartphones and selfies were in style yet.

With an excellent promotion came excellent Ghostbusters items.

Early on in this page's history, I wrote about my Hardee's Ghostbusters 2 banner, If you'd like to click over and take a moment to familiarize yourself with that, please, be my guest.

Now if you've refreshed yourself by checking that out, let's move on.....



One of the best items Hardee's gave away was the Ghostbusters 2 cup. It was a no brainer to have a cupboard full of these in 1989. 

At only 99 cents (see photo at very bottom for proof!) you could take home a Coke product in an Official Ghostbusters 2 cup!

This one, bought off of Ebay long ago, is a little faded and worse for wear, but it's still there

I always preferred the side of the cup that had the big GB2 logo on it, no idea why, but I think it looks cooler sitting on a shelf that way..



The noisemakers!

These things served absolutely NO purpose other than to drive parents nuts, which at the age of 4 is what I excelled at.

I always liked to imagine that these were the equivalent of a dog whistle for ghosts, giving off a nice, high pitched shriek to rid your home of things that go bump in the night.


Lastly on this trip down the memory lane drive-thru we look at the free promotional poster that Hardee's gave out. 

This one I picked up in a lot of Ghostbusters stuff about a year ago from a former co-worker. I don't even remember how much was there, but it was a lot, and I paid a lot for it. Hey, whatever keeps it off of Ebay, I guess.

These awesome posters were given out with coupons attached to the bottom, which was a genius idea. Think about it, get a free poster with coupons, go back, use coupons, get another free poster, and so on and so forth,.


As I mentioned above, here is the coupon for a 99 cent Ghostbusters cup. 99 cents seems like such a small price to pay for such a treasure, even in 1989 money.

I should end this post by saying that the Mr. Ghostbuster Facebook Page just hit 1000 "LIKES" Pretty crazy to think that I now have 1000 people following me on Facebook. Thanks for that. 






No comments:

Post a Comment