Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue!



If you missed the boat on this WONDERFUL say no to drugs video from 1990, you ought to be kicking yourself pretty hard.

Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue was a promotional video aimed to keep kids off drugs while warning them of the dangers they face falling into the spell of the evil marijuana. Okay, I have some different opinions of reefer, but I'll keep those to myself. No, I'm not a stoner, but I don't condemn those who are.



Anyways, literally every cartoon character from the 80's that we know and love is crammed into this tape.

We're talking Slimer, the Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Michaelangelo, Garfield, Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Huey, Dewy, and Louie, Alf, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Winnie the Pooh, among others.




The premise of the film is that a young girl named Cory wakes up to discover that her older brother , Michael, has stolen her piggy bank so that he can go buy some drugs.

The "Cartoon All-Stars" take action to help Cory, but more importantly to show Michael the dangers of abusing drugs and the road he faces, all while trying to rid Michael of his evil new pal, Smoke.



The real highlight is hearing Simon, in his wonderful Chipmunk voice, say marijuana.

Seriously, this video could easily overtake Yo Gabba Gabba as the premier thing to watch if you're stoned or drunk.



I found a copy of this long loved classic this morning at a thrift store. I haven't seen one of these anywhere in about 10 years, so needless to say, I was pretty excited. Almost to the point of jumping and shouting inside of the store, but nobody wants to see that. I get enough weird looks for being a grown man who buys far too many toys.

I thought I would take a minute to share with you, and let you watch this for yourself. Trust me, if it's not a nostalgic slap to your senses, nothing is.


No comments:

Post a Comment