Friday, September 12, 2014

Retro Action Egon Spengler!



This is my favorite part of the day. Really it is.

The part of the day where I get to take a little bit of time out of my schedule and write about Ghostbusters.

I know that not a lot of people read this, and I know that this little site and my Mr. Ghostbuster Facebook page will never be the biggest in the world, nor will they ever be cared about by the big fish in the sea, but to me, it's fun. It's been 25 plus years of collecting and loving Ghostbusters, and I enjoy sharing it with whomever will listen.

Today's fun comes in the form of Matty Collectors Retro Action Egon Spengler figure!

I know a lot of GB fans, myself included, have complained about how Matty produced and handled the Ghostbusters figures, from the overall quality of the toys to the price, they did the fans wrong.

However, these Mego-style Retro Action figures are pretty sweet.


A couple of years ago, a local closeout store had a couple Egon figures for about $5 each, which compared to their normal almost $20 price tag, was a hell of a deal.

I always kind of had this bond with Egon. The very first item in my collection, at age 3 was a Fright Features Egon figure that I begged hard for inside of the toy aisles at Wal-Mart.

The figures themselves are all pretty much the same as far as body molds go. They all have super highly articulated joints, which is a good and bad thing,

Having so much articulation makes for some awesome poses, but it also makes it hard for them to stand up on their own from time to time.


Egon comes clad in his Real Ghostbusters jumpsuit and equipped with a PKE Meter and Proton Pack.

The Proton Pack design, to me, is a few steps above those from the Kenner line. This one has color to it (other than a plain, flat blue) and the neutrona want hooks in flawlessly. 


Overall, I'd give the Retro Action RGB line a 7.5 out of 10.

The figures themselves are great, decent design, wonderful accessories, and they really bring back the fun of seeing Ghostbusters toys in stores.

The only gripes would be, as mentioned, the fact that there is almost too much articulation, making it hard for them to stand on their own, and also the normal $20 price tag. A little expensive for the average buyer, like most of the Matty items, but enough for collectors to pay it.

1 comment:

  1. He sits on my desk and watches me as I work. The only one I don't have is Janine.

    ReplyDelete